ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2010 backup performance

2014-02-12 16:35:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2010 backup performance
From: "Ryder, Michael S" <michael_s.ryder AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:27:15 -0500
I'd like to second the comments by Hans --

Windows servers can perform well -- assuming the infrastructure is there to
support it.

Our TSM server is running 6.2 on a 64-bit Windows 2003 Server.  One 1Gb
ethernet nic.
Our datamover/proxy is running 6.3 client on a Windows 2008 R2 (64-bit)
Server.  One 1Gb ethernet nic.

We are regularly able to stream image backups at 500Mbps (that's
megabits-per-second, just to be clear), reading from 4Gb fibre-channel and
dumping across a dedicated LAN connection to the TSM server.  Sometimes
sending for 15-30 seconds at 700-750Mbps, topping out at around 815Mbps.  I
can run two proxies simultaneously streaming, and the TSM server will be
receiving data from multiple image backups at a sustained rate of
~700-750Mbps.

Incremental, file-level backups are another story... searching 6 Million
files in 4TB and backing up <50GB can take ~2 hours.

I would love to see what I can do with 10Gb ethernet, but we're not there
yet...

Mike

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Schaub, Steve <Steve_Schaub AT bcbst DOT
com>wrote:

> [...]

Best regards,

Mike
RMD IT, x7942