ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] inquiries

2013-12-19 19:55:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] inquiries
From: "J. Pohlmann" <jpohlmann AT SHAW DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:53:26 -0800
Server-free backup was supported in TSM version 5.4 and earlier for Windows
based TSM servers (see the 5.4 TSM Admin Guide for Windows). The SAN Data
Gateway, which enabled SCSI tape drives to be attached to a FC SAN supported
the 3rd party data move SCSI-3 command where TSM instructed the SAN Data
Gateway to move blocks of data from LUN x to LUN y. Depending on x and y
being a tape drive or a SAN reachable disk volume, you had a server free
backup or restore. Only problem was that there was little interest in SAN
Data Gateways because tape drives evolved to native FC SAN attachment and
also became faster than the 1 Gbit FC speed of the SAN Data Gateway. Some
installations did some testing and reported what was the rationale for
server free data movement, namely to offload both client and server CPU and
also FC HBA traffic on both client and TSM server machines.

So much for history.

Joerg Pohlmann