ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Recover Archived Data from Tapes without Catalog

2013-12-11 13:14:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Recover Archived Data from Tapes without Catalog
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:10:28 -0800
Without the database, it's basically impossible to get structured data off
storage pool volumes. If you can get a Solaris 10 server up and running
with the old database, you can use EXPORT NODE (either to sequential media
or directly to the new server) to move the data to the new server.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:04:50AM -0800, Nora wrote:
> Hello,
> We recently lost a TSM server because of a severe server hardware problem
> that makes the tape library completely inaccessible to the server. We are now
> building a new TSM server and connecting the library to it. However the new
> TSM server we are building is on a different OS (Red Hat linux) while the
> original server was on Solaris 10. The different OS's between the 2 servers
> makes it impossible to restore the existing TSM database although we have it.
> And the old server's inability to use the tape library is also stopping us
> from using the "Export Node" functionality for data we want to save.
> We are mainly concerned about 120 GB of archived data that we want to
> retrieve from this tape library with TSM before migrating to the new TSM
> server.
> Does anyone know of a way to read TSM data of LTO4 tapes without the catalog
> so we can save this data? Or does IBM provide such a service ?

> |This was sent by noranasr AT adma DOT ae via Backup Central.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354