ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Patch this TSM Server vulnerability now

2013-12-04 16:52:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Patch this TSM Server vulnerability now
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 15:49:57 -0600
On Monday IBM sent a Flash to many of us announcing a security
vulnerability in the TSM Server. Regular non-administrator end-users on
a multi-user system can restore files belonging to other users,
including userid "root". For instance, this could be a Unix system that
hosts shell accounts. Dissecting the CVSS scoring reveals "Access
Complexity: Low" and "Authentication: None" - which basically means
anyone can do it. Obviously, this is an opportunity for a breach of
confidentiality.

If you back up any multi-user clients which have non-administrative
accounts, this applies to you. It definitely applied to us, so I updated
all our TSM server instances immediately.

The Flash containing the full description and a list of fixing releases
is at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21657726

Kudos to IBM for making well-tested fixes widely available before
publishing the vulnerability, and also for announcing it after the
Thanksgiving holiday rather than before.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====