ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Export server-to-server slooooooooooow

2013-11-14 21:12:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Export server-to-server slooooooooooow
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 02:10:30 +0000
Been there seen that.

I assume you are doing the export from TSM 5.5 with fromdate/todate to pick up
the data since the DB backup?
Turns out fromdate/todate on an  export is honored for files, but not honored
for directories.

So when I tried this at a customer, it included kabillions of directory
objects, because directories were being bound to a management class going back
6 months.  So you get a lot of objects exported, but only a few GB per hour.

To test, try running the export on just a node that has TDP data.  If that runs
a lot faster, that's an indicator you have the directory problem.

With a customer I did that had long retentions, we let the export run a couple
of days but found we could never gain ground on the daily backups.

Ultimately I gave up trying this for customers that had more than 14 day
retention.  Couldn't find a workaround, it's WAD.

After that I told customers when doing a hybrid migration to just export the
API clients;
Rely on TSM incrementals on the new server to pick up most of the changed files
with incremental backups;
Leave the old server intact for a while in case they needed a restore from
something that got backed up in the gap.
Best I could come up with.