ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Can you abandon conventional NDMP backups for SnapVault?

2013-11-12 07:02:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] Can you abandon conventional NDMP backups for SnapVault?
From: Nora <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 04:00:00 -0800
Hello,
Thanks for all the replies!
I've had a pretty bad experience with SnapDiff. We engaged IBM several times to
help us sort out our NDMP backups, and all they could suggest was to use
SnapDiff. So I tested it, and it turns out it cannot be used for NetApp in
cluster mode! It can only be used for NetApp in 7-mode. So there goes SnapDiff,
so we've had to depend on trying to run NDMP. That's why we're thinking of
SnapVault now.

Richard, thanks for sharing your design. It is similar to what we are
considering. Howevever we are thinking of just SnapMirroring the secondary
SnapVault NetApp to the DR site. A couple of questions though:
- How do you do single file restores? As far as I understand snapvault works at
qtree level, so what happens when you need to restore a file?
- Do you do any tape outs with SnapVault? Does it need to be scripted
separately ?

Thanks!