ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] virtual tape library versus disk

2013-11-05 13:45:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] virtual tape library versus disk
From: "Huebner, Andy" <andy.huebner AT ALCON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 18:40:17 +0000
I assume you plan to use a de-duplicating storage device.

8Gb FC tends to be faster than 10Gb Ethernet.
File systems tend to be easier to manage.
VTL option tends to cost more.
Ethernet in, FC out splits the I/O across more adapters without the joy of
routing tables.
File systems allow you to smile and answer the auditor's question about what
tape the data is on and say, "What is this tape you speak of?"

The one that is better is the one that you build your system to use.  I believe
I could successfully argue either way.  I have systems working both ways and I
tend to prefer file system, but most of my Ethernet networks will not handle
file system so I use mostly VTL.

I should note my backend of choice is a Data Domain.

Andy Huebner