ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] cdp for files/fb workstation and win7 uac

2013-09-27 17:36:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] cdp for files/fb workstation and win7 uac
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 21:34:44 +0000
Hi Remco,

I have a customer who uses cdp for files/fb workstation for their travelling
salesmen.  Literally.

I don't remember the answer to your first question, whether a "normal" user can
kick it off.  It is designed to run unattended, like the regular client
scheduler (except the problem using the regular client scheduler is that you
never know what time to schedule, since you don't know what time they will be
network-connected, so cdp for files handles that.)

The answer to question 2 is yes, it does detect and manage the connection to
the TSM server when it's on the network; no it doesn't know anything about a
network share, it expects to talk to the TSM sever.

Answer to question 3 is yes.

I believe it normally backs up only "user" files and not system state or OS
files.
It isn't perfect (nothing is!).  But it is designed to do what you want, and
deal with "occasionally connected" systems.
My customer has been using it successfully for 3 years, it gets the job done
and seems to be cost-effective.

Only down-side I've seen is that you never have a window anymore where your TSM
server is totally idle, there is always SOME system backing up.
If possible I'd put in a small dedicated TSM server and use disk only for
primary, cause the ingest rate is going to be  very slow, should manage itself.
 I'd leave my heavy-hitter high-volume backups on the big TSM server that may
need more care and feeding.

If CDP for files doesn't work for you, I'd investigate Carbonite
backup-to-cloud for occasionally-connected systems.
That's what I use for my personal stuff, it's remarkably cheap and easy for
personal.  Dunno what the economics are like for a business license.