ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DISK vs FILE DevClass

2013-09-19 20:18:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DISK vs FILE DevClass
From: Grant Street <grants AT AL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:17:37 +1000
It very much depends on the disk you are putting these on. It is a lot
easier to get bigger cheaper disks to stream data using FILE than to do
lots of small IOPS using DISK.

We were mainly concerned about getting a large amount data to the disk
storage pool and to tape as quickly as possible.

We tested the throughput of our disk using fio and found that it was
able to stream data much much faster than it could do random IO. That is
why we chose FILE. Remember that FILE storage pools use 256KB chunks and
IIRC DISK storage pools are 64KB chunks

Douring the tests we also determined the maximum number of threads that
each volume could support and based the Migration/backup stgp threads
around that. NOTE TSM can use all the threads on the same volume worst
case, unless you stripe accross them.

We were not concerned with Maximum number of mount points because or
backup/archive sessions would never max out disk IO.

Pre-Defining the volumes has a bug if you are using collocation at the
moment.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC95089

HTH

Grant