ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DP for SQL 6.4 Copyfull MC binding

2013-08-12 18:27:20
Subject: [ADSM-L] DP for SQL 6.4 Copyfull MC binding
From: "J. Pohlmann" <jpohlmann AT SHAW DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:25:30 -0700
We are thinking of upgrading our DP for SQL environment to 6.4 so that we
can take advantage of the copyfull type of backup. We would like to bind a
long-term retention MC to the copyfull backup, however the DP for SQL
Installation and User's Guide (GC27-4010-10) does not cover this (page 3
states that different MCs can be bound to full and copyfull backups). If we
are going to use VSS backups, then we expect that VSSPOLICY statements will
do the MC binding. On page 43 at the revision bars, there is a statement
that only FULL or a * can be used for the backup type, where a * will cause
a FULL backup to be taken. However on p 91 an example of VSSPOLICY shows
FULL and INCR type of backups. There is no INCR type of backup for SQL
(there is for DP for Exchange). Page 253 only shows FULL backup type
examples for VSSPOLICY.

If we were to use a COPYFULL with legacy backups, what would the include
pattern be for the include statement to assign a long-term retention MC?
Page 254 (at the top) only shows the include pattern for the previously
supported legacy backup types.

Please help with the settings.

Regards,

Joerg Pohlmann