ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM VE backup of Orcale Windows server

2013-07-18 18:42:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM VE backup of Orcale Windows server
From: Shawn DREW <shawn.drew AT US.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:41:02 +0000
To expand on this...  As I understand it, the newer versions of TSM for VE and
Virtualcenter are trying to offer a better-than-crash-consistent snapshot.
When an application supports it, VMware communicates through VSS to the
application (MSSQL for example) and it will attempt to quiesce the database
before the VMware snapshot occurs.  This adds complexity and head-scratching
when it doesn't work.   I'm not sure if Oracle has this integration and you
don't need it if you are manually quiescing the database.  Maybe there is a
driver in there that is attempting to make it work with Oracle.  I never
figured out how to disable this integration.

Regards,
Shawn

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.