ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Relabaling empty volumes in DataDomain VTL

2013-07-16 07:22:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Relabaling empty volumes in DataDomain VTL
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 06:20:28 -0500
On Jul 16, 2013, at 5:21 AM, Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT
AHLIUNITED DOT COM> wrote:

> I have found the way to re-label existing scratch volumes in VTL:
> "checkout libvolume <library>  <volume> remove=no"  - for all scratch volumes
> "label libvolume <library> search=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
> overwrite=yes"  - ones
> I hope this is correct?
>
> Grigori Solonovitch, Senior Systems Architect, IT, Ahli United Bank Kuwait,
> www.ahliunited.com.kw

TSM 5.5 introduced at a later service level the RELABEL option for SCSI
libraries that is meant exactly for VTLs; when a tape is returned to scratch
status from being in a storage pool or used as a DB backup tape, the tape is
relabeled by TSM in a background process automatically if you have that option
enabled for your SCSI library.

TSM 6.3 introduced a new kind of library, "VTL," which is just like SCSI,
except that TSM expects things to happen even faster than with physical drives.
TSM will also define paths and devices automagically with type=VTL, as I
recall, although that's not a common event for us. You can UPDATE LIBR from
type=SCSI to type=VTL.

So, don't define your VTL volumes in your storage pool; let them go out of
scratch status but have your TSM library defined to relabel them, and get to
TSM 6.3 if you're not already there.

Nick (BTDT) Laflamme