ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Should CBT be enabled before using TSM for VE to save space?

2013-07-10 09:49:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Should CBT be enabled before using TSM for VE to save space?
From: Ken Mueller <kmueller AT MCARTA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:47:16 -0400
Maybe both are correct!

Perhaps the discrepancy folks are seeing relates to .vmdk files that are
thick vs. thin provisioned.  If it's thick-provisioned, the .vmdk file is
full-size and thus when the .vmdk is backed up, you get everything (used and
unused space).  If it is thin-provisioned, the .vmdk only contains blocks
that have been used, so when the .vmdk is backed up, you get a smaller
backup.

In either case, it would seem the full .vmdk as it exists is backed up - the
size of the backup just depends on whether that .vmdk contains unallocated
blocks or not.
-Ken