ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question for Linux tape experts

2013-07-03 05:41:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question for Linux tape experts
From: Erwann Simon <erwann.simon AT FREE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:39:32 +0200
Hi,

Here's a script modified from various ones found on the Internet :

# cat get_serial.sh

#!/bin/bash

# work with udev for IBM SCSI tape device persistent naming support

SYSFS=/sys

        echo "IBMDEV;SERIAL;WWN"

for IBMDEV in /dev/IBMtape[0-9]
        do
        DEVPATH=/class/lin_tape/$(basename $IBMDEV)

        NAME=$(echo $DEVPATH|sed -e 's/.*\/\([a-zA-Z]*\)[0-9n]*$/\1/')

        # lin_tape does not have the IOCTL that scsi_id uses however it
        # has a sysfs entry pointing to the generic device which does
        # support that IOCTL
        SYMLINKPATH="$SYSFS$DEVPATH/device/generic"
        if [ ! -d $SYMLINKPATH ] ; then
                exit 1
        fi

        cd $SYMLINKPATH
        GDEVICEPATH="$(pwd -P|sed -e '{ s/\/sys\(.*\)/\1/ }')"
        #
        WWN="$(/sbin/scsi_id -gus $GDEVICEPATH)"
        #
        TAPE_ID="$(/sbin/scsi_id -p 0x80 -gs $GDEVICEPATH)"
        set ${TAPE_ID}
        SERIAL=$3
        #
        echo "${IBMDEV};${SERIAL};${WWN}" | sed -e "s/\/dev\///"

        done
exit 0

Example running on an RHEL 5 (I don't have an RHEL 4 with devices attached,
here MHVTL)
# sh get_serial.sh
IBMDEV;SERIAL;WWN
IBMtape0;XYZZY_A1;350223344ab000100