ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM licensing using Veeam question

2013-06-27 05:14:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM licensing using Veeam question
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:12:23 +0200
Hi Francois,

Op 27 jun. 2013, om 10:51 heeft francs <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> het
volgende geschreven:

> Hi
>
> Would someone have answer answer for the following TSM licensing scenario:
> We use Veeam to backup our virtual environment to a server. Veeam saves the
> backups to normal OS files.
> We then use the TSM client to backup those files.
> Would you license the whole virtual environment or just the server you have
> the client running on?

It all depends on who you ask... the IBM license specifies that you must buy
licenses for all systems whose data you protect, not those on which you have
the TSM client installed.

> In my mind you would just license the TSM client machine.

That would make sense to me too, since that is the data you are protecting.

Now... have you ever considered using TSM for VE? Maybe it's cheaper for you to
switch to TSM for Unified recovery, use TSM for VE and ditch Veeam.... OTOH,
you've already bought Veeam I guess....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post