ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] V6.3.4 conversion issue and Dell PowerEdge R720 and Throttling

2013-06-21 14:07:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] V6.3.4 conversion issue and Dell PowerEdge R720 and Throttling
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:05:15 -0400
This is a little OT but wondering if someone could help/offer some
suggestions

I was part of the way through my 5.5 -> 6.3.4 upgrade/conversion when I
noticed the EXTRACTDB seemed to stop in its tracks.  I am doing this on my
new server, listed above, using the latest RedHat V6 linux

Since I tested this process on a low-power "test TSM server", I wandered
what was going on.

Digging in the /var/log/messages file, I noticed these strange messages
that all started around the time the EXTRACTDB seemed to suddenly stop
(previous testing produced a 40GB extract file - this stopped at 23GB and
the last file update was at the time these messages were issued).

Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU8: Package power limit normal
Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU10: Package power limit normal
Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU26: Package power limit normal
Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU12: Package power limit normal
Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU28: Package power limit normal
Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU14: Package power limit normal
Jun 21 12:54:44 hades kernel: CPU30: Package power limit normal

My OS guys say they have been seeing these on other Dell servers in this
same class.  It has something to do with the (this is from Dell) hardware
sensing a load (seriously?   just doing an extractdb?  What happens when
DB2 starts running full-throttle?) and talking to the Linux kernel telling
it to throttle things down.  It seems the extractDB process didn't like
this and never resumed its work.

So far Dell support can only offer "suggested BIOS changes" to see if might
help!

Anyone else have these boxes and seen anything like this?  Any thoughts?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator