ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Planning for NDMP backup

2013-06-07 12:18:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Planning for NDMP backup
From: Shawn DREW <shawn.drew AT US.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 16:16:50 +0000
To paraphrase Churchill, NDMP is the worst form of NAS backups, except for all
the others..

I keep testing snapdiff with every new TSM client and/or ONTAP update.  It's
just not as reliable as NDMP for me.
Bottom line is that if you can't handle the periodic full-scan backups (like
journaling) then don't bother.  At least for our (250TB) environment.

You can make NDMP on TSM bearable with lots of scripting and classic backup
thinking (i.e. regular fulls and no copypools)  Also, separate NDMP storage
pools and group backups with the same retention.  i.e NDMP_35day, NDMP_1year,
etc.  This lets the tapes expire regularly without reclamation.

As far as drives per filer, it seems like a standard to not go over 4 drives
per filer concurrently but, as always, it depends.  Some file servers are more
powerful and can handle more, some less.  Some volumes are just plain slower
than others and you need to plan around that.

Someone also mentioned something about not being to create a TOC because of too
many files.  During an NDMP backup, the TOC is temporarily stored in the DB
temp space then dumped to the actual TOCDestination after the backup finishes.
(if your DB is 80% utilized, then the 20% unused space is the temp space).
I ran our NDMP TSM Server/library manager with a 150GB db that was .05 pct
utilized.  This solved all of our TOC issues, so may help. (This was TSM 5.5,
so I'm not sure how that is handled in TSM 6)

That said, we scrapped TSM NDMP here.  We have a small dedicated Netbackup
environment just for NAS now.  It uses a heck of a lot of tapes, but it
finishes reliably.
It was like magic when I was able to preview the tape I would need for a
restore without having to run selects against the backups/contents tables and
not having to wait a couple hours to load a particularly large TOC.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.