ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] V6.1 to V6.3.3 Upgrade Question

2013-05-22 10:54:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] V6.1 to V6.3.3 Upgrade Question
From: white jeff <jeff.white3 AT BLUEYONDER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:53:26 +0100
Hi

TSM Server v6.1.5.0
On Windows 2008

I have a need to upgrade TSM to  v6.3.3

On the same physical host, no problem, straight forward

The current host is 32-bit, so we will move TSM onto a new physical host
with more memory and of course it will be 64-bit to support TSM v6.3. Can't
get away from this as the customer has already purchased the hardware.

My question: IBM have a documented migration path from v5 to v6, running on
a different physical host. There is also the v6-v6 upgrade path on the same
host. Have performed both without issues.

But are there any special requirements for v6-v6 across different hosts?

I was thinking either:

1) Install v6.1 on the new host, then upgrade to v6.3
or
2) Build v6.3 on the new host, then restore a v6.1 database backup down
onto v6.3, if that is possible. I remember doing something similar in v5,
where the DR server was a higher v5 than the production server. TSM warned
me when i restored the database, but was happy to run the restore.

I guess the the other thing to consider is moving the library connectivity
from the old to the new host.

Comments/Thoughts welcome