ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Log pinning, transactions, and sequential media

2013-05-14 06:49:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] Log pinning, transactions, and sequential media
From: "Stout, Susie (NIH/CIT) [E]" <stouts AT MAIL.NIH DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:48:34 +0000
We've had some really nasty logpin issues as well....since I don't remember the
particulars with great clarity, here's my notes:

possible causes:
  - backups that span more than one tape; the pin occurs at the time the first
tape starts to rewind and another tape is needed
  - BACKUP IMAGE operations that span more than one tape (similar to above)
  - Data Protection for * products, typically with large transactions that pin
the log until the transaction is committed
  - TSM V6.2 b/a client used to back up system state on Windows 2008, Windows
2008 R2, Windows 7 and  Windows Vista
  - Other reasons

possible solutions:
  1) TXNGROUPMAX and TXNBYTELIMIT
  2) Extending activity log, to increase available space
  3) THROUGHPUTDATATHRESHOLD and THROUGHPUTTIMETHRESHOLD options
  4) Balance the load between the two TSM servers
  5) Prevent possible conflicts between sessions and processes
  6) SHOW LOGPINNED & LOGPINNED CANCEL commands
  7) Move the client backup schedule

My notes say it's fixed in V6.

Our case was aggrevated by not having a lot of drives; sometimes more than one
client was trying to hog the log, and everything starts to sloooowly circle the
drain -- space reclamation and migration start feeling the pain, etc.  In our
case, I absolutely had to get them off writing directly to tape.  Life got
better after that.

Hope that helps.