ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Equating current 3494 configuration to TS3500

2013-04-30 11:06:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Equating current 3494 configuration to TS3500
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:03:29 -0500
The only non-drive external cables to the library would be Ethernet for
access to the web interface and either an analog phone line for the
call-home modem or a second Ethernet for the TS3000 if you have one.
(We missed the phone line requirement at first, so we had to scramble
to get those in.)

Internally, each drive has a couple power connections and one or two
RS422 or similar connections to a library node card, plus one or two
fibre connections (newer LTO and 3592 support dual connections) to the
"patch panel" (just a piece of sheet metal to snap in LC-LC couplers).
IBM will be responsible for connections from the back of the patch, and
you will be responsible for external connections to the patch.

With multiple drive frames, you will also have connections from one
frame to the next to connect up the node cards.  I believe they are
daisy-chained, so any given frame would only have one cross-frame cable
going each direction.  (Mine are both 2-frame libraries, but the second
is an S24, aka HD frame, so there is no node card in use.)

=Dave

Zoltan Forray wrote:

> That is what I understood from previous emails but wanted to make sure but
> someone here keeps insisting there should be another cable just for the
> library.
>
> As for internally, how does the library talk to the drives/canisters?  In
> the 3494, it used RS422 cables from the drive cages/frames to the RTIC
> cards.  My understanding is there is a fibre patch-panel in each D-frame to
> which you connect 2m cables to the drives and then I guess to connect the
> fibre cables from the SAN switch to this same patch-panel?  I really wish I
> had the "maintenance manual" for the 3584!
>

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Prather, Wanda <Wanda.Prather AT icfi DOT
> com>wrote:
>
> > No.
> > You can define the control path on any (and all) drives.
> > The 2nd cable is if you want to have path failover configured on the drive.

[...trimming the rest...]

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa