ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM ntfs permissions - bypass

2013-04-25 16:26:01
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM ntfs permissions - bypass
From: whiplash <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:03:54 -0700
We currently are in the process of a domain migration and I'm facing some
issues regarding TSM and the way it handles ntfs permissions change. Here's a
look at our folder structure

D:\APPS\Application\Production\App_Name

What we do is we do a file share on the "APPS" folder so it becomes the entry
point for the users. All the files are under the "App_Name" folder and on some
servers the amount of data is in terabytes.

The nfts permissions is set as follows
folder name "APPS" : Domain users:

advanced permissions:
- Apply to: This folder and files
- Traverse Folder / Execute File (allow)
- List Folder / Read Data (allow)
- Read Attributes (allow)
- Read Extended Attributes (allow)
- Read Permissions (allow)
check the "Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this
container only"

This is what we call a "bypass" permission. It's the way we've done our
security for a long while and it's use all over our servers. The users get
access to the files through AD groups and set on the "App_Name" folder.

Now the problem we are facing is we have to change the "Domain users"
permission for "Authenticated users" on the "Apps" folder. Now, I'm thinking,
since it's a bypass permission, and since the files under the "App_Name" are
not affected by the bypass permission, why is TSM backuping all files on my
next schedule backup as if change were made on all of them ? Is it normal
behavior for TSM ? If so, is there anyway for TSM not to backup all files
without the SKIPNTPERMISSIONS option ?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre