ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Addressing "log pinned" condition on V6 server

2013-04-16 12:38:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Addressing "log pinned" condition on V6 server
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:34:59 -0400
On 04/16/2013 09:36 AM, Zoltan Forray wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Allen S. Rout <asr AT ufl DOT edu> wrote:
>> On 04/16/2013 08:59 AM, Zoltan Forray wrote:
>>>
>>> The active session is only up to 222GB so it isn't volume - just one long
>>> transaction, I guess?
>>
>> (reliatively) Big files, transmitted (relatively) slowly, are my most
>> common log-pin culprit.

> But, how do you address/resolve this kind of problem?

Uh.  I try to make the transmission faster, or the files smaller?

In the former case, look for performance or throughput bottlenecks,
and try to amend or obviate them.

In the latter, I remonstrate with the client owner, and tell them
"stop that".  It's rare that the owner actually _means_ "It is a
technical necessity that I store this 12-zoopydoopybyte thing as one
file"; usually it's a matter of default configurations grown to cancers.

- Allen S. Rout