ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Implementing Encryption

2013-04-10 14:24:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Implementing Encryption
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:22:42 -0400
True, those pages don't mention a tape library.  In this document on the
TS3500 Tape Library:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ts3500tl/v1r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storage.ts3500.doc%2Fipg_3584_managing_encrypt.html

It says:
Planning for application-managed encryption

This topic explains application-managed encryption (AME).

This method is best where operating environments run an application already
capable of generating and managing encryption policies and keys, such as
Tivoli® Storage Manager (TSM). Policies specifying when encryption is to be
used are defined through the application interface. The policies and keys
pass through the data path between the application layer and the encrypting
tape drives. Encryption is the result of interaction between the
application and the encryption-enabled tape drive, and does not require any
changes to the system and library layers. Because the application manages
the encryption keys, data volumes written and encrypted using the
application-managed encryption method can only be read by the same software
application that wrote them.

A key manager *is not required by, or used by, application-managed tape
encryption*.