ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange backup performence

2013-04-05 11:14:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange backup performence
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:09:36 +0000
"it depends" on your infrastructure, and what your actual performance issue is.

LAN-free was invented when fibre connections were substantially faster than
connections over 10/100 Lan.
Now I have customers where the network/LAN connection is faster at 10GE than
their fibre at 4GBit or 8GBit.

Your network connections are probably GIG/E (max 100 Megabytes per second) or
10GE (1000 Megabytes per second).
Your fibre connections for LAN-Free are probably 4Gbit (400 Megabytes per
second) or 8Gbit (800 Megabytes per second).

And,
The fact that you have a fast connection between your Exchange server and your
TSM server, doesn't necessarily mean your Exchange server is capable of moving
the data at max possible speed.

So
*       do you have a performance problem?
*       what is the speed of your network connection from the Exchange server
to the TSM server?
*       are you sure that the performance problem is the network speed and not
in the Exchange server itself (are you sure it isn't CPU-bound or disk-I/O
bound?  have you run a trace?)
*       is the problem that your TSM server NIC is too busy to accept the data
from Exchange?  In that case the simpler solution might be to add a NIC to your
TSM server.
*       if your site is planning to upgrade to 10GE in the near future, that is
a simpler solution (no additional management overhead for you, no HBA or fibre
port needed)
*       do you have tape drives available for Lan_Free?
*       is the bottleneck in the diskpool on your TSM server?  If so have you
tried sending Exchange backups direct to tape?
*       can you put the necessary HBA's for the fibre connection into your
Exchange server?

After call those considerations, consider Lan-Free.