ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE questions

2013-04-01 14:45:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE questions
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 18:43:22 +0000
I've been waiting to respond here, hoping somebody would chime in who knows the
answer for sure to your first question.
I'm glad you've brought it up, 'cause it's a good question, I know there are
others (including me) who are going to run into the "get a monthly copy"
requirement.

I'm thinking it's POSSIBLE it will work, and here's why:
The doc says you have to create a management class for control information and
make sure that stays on disk, even if your VE backup pool normally gets
migrated out to tape.  Before an incremental/CBT backup runs, TSM does a
restore that looks like this in the activity log:

03/31/2013 20:01:13      ANR0504I Session 37241 for node NNNNNNNN(Userid=),
                          restored or retrieved Backup object: node NNNNNNNN
                          filespace \VMFULL-SASW03, object
                          \SASW03\SNAPSHOT_000003000_20130328201241\Hard Disk
                          1\JOB000003001\MBLK03ee.CTL, version 1 of 1. (SESSION:
                          37241)
If TSM is retrieving the snapshot info that is stored, is that perhaps the way
it is making the comparison for CBT?
If that's how it works, then perhaps it could indeed maintain 2 separate
tracks, if backed up to 2 different "datacenter" nodes.

But I don't really know, I'm just providing this info in hopes of getting
somebody else to chime in with info.
Maybe somebody going to Edge could try and find out for sure?

As for your second question about Oracle, I do know that the way the new VE
"application aware" backups work for MSSQL is by invoking Microsoft VSS to
flush the buffers before the VE backup.  That isn't going to happen with any
non-Microsoft application.

However you back up Oracle now, you should be able to continue doing.  The VE
backup is run on a normal TSM schedule; I don't see any reason you can't do a
presched/postsched arrangement to put Oracle in backup mode.  But either for
Oracle or SQL, the TDP is the only thing that is going to give you log
management along with the backups.