ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.3.3

2013-03-27 17:01:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.3.3
From: Alex Paschal <apaschal5 AT FRONTIER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:59:38 -0700
Hi, Jerome. I've found IBM's quote of 5GB/hr is pretty accurate across a variety of hardware architectures, OSs, and disk arrays. Figure your 200GB database would take 40-ish hours to upgrade, possibly less if you feel a reorg would shrink your database significantly. That means you'd probably miss two nights' backups, IF you left the old system down. Here are some thoughts.

Migration takes a lot of work and time. If you can possibly swing the 40-hour upgrade, I highly recommend it. To help convince management, figure the time you'd spend migrating and how much that would cost in consultant time, vs 2-3 days of consultant time for just the upgrade. Try to convince them your time isn't free and should be factored in because, while you're migrating, there's other stuff you aren't doing.

If you use the New System/Media method, which is my personal preference, you can even bring your 5.5 server back up after the extract is complete, which means you can take backups and be able to do restores for those two days. This will not be possible if you use the Network method. This covers the "what if someone needs a restore during those two days" and the "that leaves us unprotected for two days" complaints. You would want to make sure your reusedelay is set correctly, though, and don't bother with reclamation. You would have to manually track volumes that are sent offsite during those two days, but maybe you could just skip the offsite process those two days.

If you can convince management to abandon that two days' worth of backups to the old 5.5 server, e.g. shut down the 5.5 server, switch production to the 6.x server, resume incrementals with a 2-day gap, this is just as good because you don't have to do any migration. Again, save time, effort, and years of premature aging. Try using business phrases like: "migration cost not commensurate with the benefits", "migration increases risk", "lost opportunity cost of the migration time", and any other BS-Bingo terms you can repurpose for the fight against evil.

If you can't convince management to abandon that two days' worth of backups, see if you can convince them there's only a few nodes that you can't abandon. If you can limit it to just a few nodes, you could do an "export node filedata=all fromdate= fromtime= todate= totime=" to skim only the data from the time of the extract and import it into the new server. That will drastically reduce the amount of data you have to migrate. If you took those backups to new media, like a new library partition or something, or a bunch of spare disk (if there is such a thing), you could do it server-to-server. If not, simply export to tape, shut down the 5.5 server, and import those tapes into the new server.

If all of the above falls through, only then consider the migration. <shudder> But since you have only 60 servers, it might be worth considering doing the export node fromdate/fromtime for all 60, rather than migrating all that historical data. One other thing - since you're getting a new system, extract the DB, then test the upgrade a few times before doing it for real.

Good luck, and may your management be amenable.

Oh, and for all you other TSM consultants out there (and my sales guys), I apologize; I know those migration engagements are mighty lucrative. :-)

Alex