ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Second full DB backup triggered while first was still underway

2013-03-22 21:45:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Second full DB backup triggered while first was still underway
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:44:06 -0500
The Active Log was never more than 2% full, and yes, I have an Archive
Failover Log, which was never written to and remained empty. Q DB F=D
shows blanks for Last Database Reorganization, which means it has never
been done? Hopefully never just since the last reboot. At any rate, DB
reorg was not what caused this to happen. (Odd, because our other
production V6.2 server does reorgs fairly often.)

What happened was that some client backed up 3,000,000 small files.
(That's a separate problem; it happens.) Since they were all small, the
Active Log never got pinned for more than a second or two, and the
storage pools never got full, but the Archive Log sure got hammered.

On our system, it appears that db2dump/db2diag.0.log is in the instance
owner ID's homedir, not the instance directory which I have set up to be
a subdir of its homedir. But anyway, I found it, at
/home/adsm_4/sqllib/db2dump/db2diag.0.log and it was very interesting.
(Among other things, it looks like it did its last DB reorg over a year
ago.) It appears from this log file that the first DB backup was
cleaning up and futzing with the Volume History File over and over, when
the second DB backup was triggered. I guess I'm lucky it only happened
twice.

Thanks Wanda and Skylar, it looks like we need to go to 6.2.5 soon. And
also increase the size of the main Archive Log because 3,000,000 small
files can happen again.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====