ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database randomly failing backup

2013-03-12 16:08:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database randomly failing backup
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:07:15 -0400
Been there - done that - read the book - saw the video.

Just went through this on my Linux servers so I am guessing the resolution
is probably similar.

There are specific memory tuning parameters for DB2 for your OS - things
like memory heap sizes, etc, swap sizes, etc.  In my case, it was Linux
kernel values.  Once we set them to the IBM "recommended" (more like
required) values, my intermittent DB2 backup failures stopped.

Being 32-bit, you might not be able to give it enough memory.

>From this document:

It says:

*TSM servers are optimized for and perform best on machines running with
64-bit architectures. Versions prior to V6.3 supported running on 32-bit
windows. In that case, TSM running on a 32-bit architecture will be limited
by the memory available to it and it is not recommended to use those
servers for heavy work-load environments, TSM deduplication, or other such
capabilities.*

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator