ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: 3592 upgrades....

2013-02-28 21:45:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: 3592 upgrades....
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:43:49 -0600
I think they are _supposed to_ write at the higher capacity without a
relabel if it's writing from the beginning of the cartridge (after the
label, of course).

When I upgraded my -J1A drives to -E05, I didn't do anything to my -JA
tapes once they were scratch to start getting the higher capacity (and
it seems like I'd have noticed otherwise).  The 3590 drives worked the
same way.  So I'd expect the same for -E05 to -E06 or -E07.  It's also
probably noted in some TS1130 or TS1140 marketing material and/or
techincal manual, as well.

In my case, since all the tapes moving to the new 3584 libraries were
already scratch, it was easy enough to go ahead and relabel them, too.
As a bonus, it satisfied any paranoia about it _not_ working, as well
as a first pass at ensuring the new drives liked the old tapes, at
least at first glance.

The exception was the 8 months of NDMP tapes I had to hang onto, which
included both -JA and -JB tapes, which I just moved.  As they expire,
I'll relabel -- out of paranoia -- the -JB tapes, and when they're all
expired, I'll eject the -JA tapes for disposal.

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa