ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 3592 upgrades....

2013-02-27 16:38:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 3592 upgrades....
From: William Sefranek <wtsefran AT BUFFALO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:36:46 -0500
Allen,

You are recalling correctly as I have done the exact same thing. We are
currently migrating from our 3494 library with 3592 E05 drives to a 3584
library with 3592 E07 drives. I have removed some of our old scratch
3952 E05 JB tapes from our 3494 to use in the 3584 without incident.
They are working fine using the 3592-4C format. The 3592 E07 drives will
only read tapes written with the 3592-2C format but as you pointed out
when the tapes go through a scratch cycle and then are written to using
the 3592-4C format you will realize the increase in storage capacity.

Here is a 3592 format matrix from IBM:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM%20Removable%20Media%20on%20IBM%20i/page/3592%20Cartridges%20and%20Drives%20compatibility%20on%20IBM%20i?lang=en

Hope this helps,
Bill