ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli Monitoring for TSM?

2013-02-18 16:57:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli Monitoring for TSM?
From: "Sergio O. Fuentes" <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:55:17 +0000
I'm in the same boat as you, Nick.  We've tried out DPA and now we're trying
TSM monitoring.  So far TSM Monitoring is much more extensible out of the box,
but that's not saying much.  I ended up having to correct a bunch of scripts in
the installation tree for the History and Pruning agent to correctly load the
tables to the WAREHOUS table.  Further, I had to edit some DB2 parameters to
get the agents to connect correctly (my db2 ports were not the default for some
reason).  It wasn't pretty.  Of course I hacked this thing all together in one
day and I didn't write any of it down.

At any rate, I found some technotes/presentations, but no redbooks on getting
TSM Monitoring to do 'stuff',  i.e. emailing alerts.  Simple stuff that IBM
loves to turn into rocket science.  All-in-all though, there's promise in what
TSM monitoring and reporting can do.  Just not very much of it is done.  The
tables are easily viewable and not too difficult to understand to create
reports, but I'm not a COGNOS developer, so it's taking time to learn how to do
fancy reports.

I would recommend that IBM port a few reports that were standard in TSM
Operational Reporting, and port some of the automatic alerts that were in TSM
OR.  If that had been available out of the box, I'd have it in production in no
time.  Make them available here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager/page/Report%20Sharing%20Repository

Right now, the repository is empty.  Anyone else see anything different?

Anywhoo.. a lot of the stuff I reference above can be found within the wiki:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager/page/Tivoli%20Monitoring%20for%20Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

You can get Reporting to email reports to you:  that works and it's pretty neat.
You can get Monitoring to email monitoring alerts to you:  tried, but hasn't
worked for me yet.

Sergio