ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Versions for Web Client security hole

2013-02-06 16:44:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Versions for Web Client security hole
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 15:18:59 -0600
Markus, I wonder if you are confusing the two IBM TSM security noitices
that were both sent on the same day. The other one, a denial-of-service
exposure in the Classic Scheduler, mentioned v5.5, 6.1, and 6.2, and it
also mentioned several easy workarounds. We circumvented it by SET
SCHEDMODE POLLING on all our TSM servers.

This one, involving unauthorized information disclosure in the Web
Client, did not mention those earlier versions. It is harder to deal
with, because there are no workarounds, it is a more serious issue, and
the only possible remediation is at the client level. Upgrading clients
to 6.3.1.0 or 6.4.0.1 to fix this, is not supported for Windows XP
clients (we still have a lot of XP clients) or V5.5 servers. Plus, it
involves the cooperation of clients, which can be difficult.

So, I still need to know if this affects 5.5, 6.1, or 6.2, because if it
does, I have a much larger number of clients to individually remediate.
Our clients are mostly 5.5 or 6.2.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center
======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====