ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VTL or disk pool

2013-02-05 22:01:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VTL or disk pool
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:31:12 +0000
1) If by "storage agent" you mean the Lan-Free agent, that requires a tape
device.  You cannot replace that with a disk or file pool.

2) Other than that, it's a question of speed and resources.

Using disk for TSM, I'm assuming you would want to turn on deduplication.  (For
most sites using all-disk for backup isn't cost-effective unless you can
dedup.)
Dedup  is a resource-intensive function that is now being done outboard in your
VTL.
It will require extra CPU cycles and a lot more I/O operations for your TSM
server to take over that function.
And the disk, if you are adding to your existing disk array, must be able to
handle the write speed to replace your VTL.

So if (1) isn't a problem, you should work with your IBM business partner to
get some statistics from your TSM server to see if the server itself has
sufficient capacity to take over the deduplication function.  And also to
figure out how much data per day/hour you need to process and dedup in a disk
pool, to see if your existing disk array has sufficient write speed and cache
to handle it.

When you figure out you need to push xxxx Gigabytes of data through the disk in
an x hour window, your business partner can calculate for you what type of disk
array or disk array upgrade will support that.