ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Moving a TSM V6 database

2013-01-09 10:49:10
Subject: [ADSM-L] Moving a TSM V6 database
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 10:16:44 -0500
With V5 I was able to move TSM from one computer to another if the
database/log files were on attached storage (SAN) as long as I mounted them
to the same path that is in the DSMSERV.DSK file.

Now with TSM V6 and DB2, if all by db/log/archlog/. files are on attachned
SAN LUN's, is it possible to install TSM on a new server, recreate the
instance pointing to the same db/log/archlog paths and then re-attach the
LUN's? Will the instance come up? Trying to do this without having to
allocate additional space (short supply!) and doing a restore.

What happened here is that somehow most of the / root directory on the Linux
TSM server got deleted, as well as the home/tsminst1 directory. The
DB/LOG/ARCHLOG are all on attached Netapp LUN's and weren't affected. I was
hoping that I could just reinstall TSM, recreate the instance pointing to
the same locations and then map the storage.. Would the instance (and DB2)
come up? This way they customer wouldn't have to restore from the last
DBBackup and potentially lose data.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.
(610) 927-4407
"Enjoy life. It has an expiration date." - ??