ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Diagnosing "ANS1377W: The client was unable to obtain a snapshot of 'volname'. The operation will continue without snapshot support."

2013-01-08 13:28:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Diagnosing "ANS1377W: The client was unable to obtain a snapshot of 'volname'. The operation will continue without snapshot support."
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 13:08:33 -0500
Thanks for the response, Andy.

I have already talked to them about the VSS hotfixes.  Supposedly they are
installed.  How can we tell?

Unfortunately, they installed 6.4 without talking to me, first.  In fact,
they installed 6.3 without talking to me and until the Christmas holiday
break, they were on a 5.5 TSM server, which I told them was NOT a supported
combination, thus the move.  Now they are screwed, again, since they can't
downlevel to 6.3 (it took 2-weeks to backup this server to a V6 TSM server
due to 10TB and 20M objects, so we can't afford to do this, again!).

As for VSS vs LVSA, my understand was that 6.4 only supported VSS.

When we do the "vssadmin list writers", There are 3-writers in "Failed
State (10)", "FSRM", "System Writer" and "WMI Writer".  Could these be
causing the problem (I know nothing about VSS).