ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon Backup

2013-01-07 11:58:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon Backup
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 07:45:18 -0800
We have about 130 million file versions in TSM's primary storage pools
for our Isilon systems. Since we have a single offsite copy for these,
the number of copies is twice that. We exclude substantial parts of the
systems from backups as well, so the number of files on the Isilon
systems themselves is going to be several times what it is in TSM.

We have 74 filespaces defined across our two Isilons. They're used as
primary storage for a large-scale genomic sequencing operation, so we
have one filespace per gene sequencer, plus a few filespaces for final
processed data. There's one main user account involved for the
sequencing and analysis, but there's a couple dozen other users who have
some amount of data on the systems. We don't use NT ACLs so we're fine
just backing up the UNIX ownership and permissions over NFS.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354