ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Permissions needed for restores

2012-12-21 16:52:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] Permissions needed for restores
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:21:42 -0500
My employer is preparing to upgrade its workstations from Windows XP to
Windows 7. According to the people managing the project, federal
regulations governing the handling of clinical data will require us to
finish the upgrade within the next year or two. We generally do not
provide TSM coverage for workstations, but there are about half a
dozen Windows XP systems that have TSM coverage because they perform
server functions. I have been testing TSM backup and restore operations
with a Windows 7 client OS, TSM 6.2.2.0 client software, and a TSM
6.2.2.0 server running under zSeries Linux.

As far as I can tell, backups initiated using the central scheduler work
fine. I have created a folder for use as a destination for test restores.
I have been able to perform command line restores of data backed up from
a number of different folders. However, all attempts at command line
restores of files originally located in the folder sub-tree beneath
'C:\Program Files' have failed with the message:

ANS4973E An error occurred accessing NTFS security information for
file '\\vdid1per-0004\c$'

On the other hand, I was able to perform a GUI restore of the contents
of one of the folders that triggered the above error when a command line
restore was attempted. I have found one potentially relevant oddity in
the permissions structure. Neither administrators nor the system account
have 'Full control' permission for 'C:\Program Files'. Would this
account for the behavior described above?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital