ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Isilon Backup

2012-12-17 18:19:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Isilon Backup
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:45:36 +0000
I agree with that strategy for non-NetApp NAS devices - divide and conquer by
backing up one filespace at a time, using many proxy machines.  (Your backup
domain controllers got nuthin' else to do at backup time, do they?)

Unless it's mostly non-changing data that you can replicate.  Some of my
customers with massive NAS devices are using them for image apps.  Images get
created and never change, so just 1 replicated copy is usually sufficient.  No
need to trudge through the filetree every day.

And Skylar is right on that you need to partition the data into manageable
filespace sizes to start with.  App folks don't like to hear that, but there
are ways (even with Windows!) to mask drive architecture from applications and
still have a design that makes it reasonable to back up in a timely fashion.

NDMP is the horrible reptile/crocodile brain of the backup world.  It hasn't
improved any, and you are constantly dumping stuff that hasn't changed, it's
massive amounts of data, and you have to keep the tapes a lot longer than you
want to, to make sure that you can recovery that 1 file that has extra-long
retention requirements.  Better to back up just the files that are changed.

Once you get an NAS in the 10 TB range, you'll find you need a dead goat every
full moon and an unreasonable amount of your time and tape to get those NDMP
dumps completed.  The reason NAS vendors don't improve on NDMP is not because
they can't (to wit the NetApp snapdiff API).  Let's just say those boxes aren't
designed to help the customer in any way.  I wish when looking at a NAS device,
customers would calculate the cost of backing it up into the TCO.  Then we'd
get better stuff on the market.
(soapbox off)