ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations

2012-12-17 14:25:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:19:13 -0500
On 12/10/2012 10:42 AM, Zoltan Forray wrote:

> I have been tasked with looking into doing this.  The current guidelines is
> to "only backup 'documents and settings/users' folder, excluding all music
> files (mp3/wmv/wav/flac/ogg)".

This sounds to me like a nightmare in a University environment.  Can you
envision the shade of puce on the Chair of the department of Audiology
and Linguistics, having seen a year of "All backups AOK!" messages, when
she learns "Oh, we omitted sound files".

This isn't to say that you shouldn't use TSM as the backup hub here, but
instead that someone closer to the desktop needs to be thinking about
local imperatives.

I like central homedirs as a solution to that problem, but that's kind
of not the question you asked. :)

- Allen S. Rout