ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations

2012-12-10 16:31:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:15:50 +0000
With the higher probability of workstations being susceptible to data loss,
compared to servers in a secure data center, either from a system failure
and/or reload, our company decided that using a domain policy which redirects
the Documents and Settings folder (as well as newer OS's "Users" folder) to a
file server. Their official position is that you NEVER keep business data on a
workstation device. Ultimately this saves a significant amount of money in
storage and licenses.
Additionally, this practice lowers the cost of the desktop support team
managing end-user systems. They no longer need to be concerned about business
data when performing OS reloads/upgrades.
HTH
~Rick