ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations

2012-12-10 14:52:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:41:26 -0800
This is very true. One of the things I forgot to mention is that we used
to backup desktops. We're mostly in the research computing business, so
we "only" had around 100 desktops and laptops we backed up. That said,
the overhead of checking to see why that system failed its backups was
high - in many cases the desktop would be powered off, or the user would
have taken the laptop home.

The staff overhead of figuring out why each backup failed was high, and
we ended up letting a bunch of the failures slide. At that point, it
raised the question of why we were expending so much time and money
trying to back those systems up, when we couldn't find the time to
figure out why they failed. Unless you have a good way to ensure the
backups are actually valid, complete, and timely, the value of backing
those systems up is questionable.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354