ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Stable Version of TSM 6

2012-12-02 02:04:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Stable Version of TSM 6
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 01:00:54 -0600
I'm on the somewhat cautious side too. The latest 6.2.3 is good and
stable. V5.5 clients are still fully supported with a V6.2 server, as
are V6.3 clients, so it is a good bridge release that will allow you to
migrate clients later individually on a sensible schedule. And once
you're on 6.2.3, going beyond that will be easy.

Windows is OK for small servers and light loads. Windows still does not
scale well with heavy processing and I/O loads such as a TSM Server.
Those of us running larger TSM systems tend to prefer AIX.

TSM Server will run rather poorly in a virtual machine. It really needs
a real machine given the extremely high amount of I/O it does, by the
nature of the job it is doing. Wanda mentioned that tape is unsupported
in a VM, but even an all-disk system will run a lot better in a real
machine. OTOH, if you go with AIX, TSM Server is fine in an LPAR, even
with tape.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center
======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====