ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Who is performing Client Based Encryption and Compression

2012-11-28 16:59:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Who is performing Client Based Encryption and Compression
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:49:34 -0500
I am not aware of any way to detect client based encryption via a server-based
query.  However, you can see this from a client-side CLI query (DSMC Q BACKUP),
so there must be information somewhere that reflects this.

For anyone considering SUR pricing (capacity-based), you might consider looking
at TSM-based deduplication instead of VTL-based deduplication, as your TB
license requirements will be lower.  Or at least, that's what I was told by an
IBMer describing the SUR pricing model to me.  Granted, you would need a more
powerful TSM server, but you could offset that cost by purchasing disk less
expensively than a VTL vendor would charge.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
CIT Infrastructure / Storage Services     Fx: 607-255-8521