ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Reusing WORM Tapes from a different TSM server

2012-11-21 02:55:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Reusing WORM Tapes from a different TSM server
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 08:51:32 +0100
hi,

the tape drive enforces the WORM concept, not the TSM server, so as soon as a
WORM tape is full, it is really full and can never be made empty again, that's
why it's called a WORM tape. So even if you delete all data from the tape in
TSM, the tape still retains that data, you just can't access it anymore from
TSM, because TSM thinks it's been deleted.

So, yes, if the tape is full, and contains no useful data anymore for your
organisation, have the tape destroyed according to your company's media
handling policies.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post