ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Windows Client Bloat

2012-11-19 13:58:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Windows Client Bloat
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:39:30 +0000
Thanks for all the input on this.

On reflection, I think the problem as I originally stated it was slightly
different to the one I was actually trying to solve. Having thought about
it, my primary aim was to get the process described in this document

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager/page/Best%20Practices%20for%20Recovering%20Windows%20Server%202008,%20Windows%20Server%202008%20R2,%20Windows%207,%20and%20Windows%20Vista

to work with the x64 TSM v6.4 client. Now that I know (thanks to Erwann's
most useful link) that the updated client docs link to this article too, I
think IBM need to address this because the suggested OSCDIMG.EXE command
doesn't work when the size of the image exceeds a standard CD.

In line with Rick and Maurice's suggestion about using larger optical
media instead of trying to make the client smaller I suspect the answer is
to use the '-m' switch with OSCDIMG.EXE. I'm also wondering whether it's
best to replace the '-n' switch with '-u2'. (In my operation the images
are unlikely to go anywhere near optical media and be mounted to the TSM
client via Virtual Centre or whatever lights out management system the
server contains)

Regards
Neil Schofield
Technical Leader
Yorkshire Water

Spotted a leak?
If you spot a leak please report it immediately. Call us on 0800 57 3553 or go
to http://www.yorkshirewater.com/leaks

Get a free water saving pack
Don't forget to request your free water and energy saving pack, it could save
you money on your utility bills and help you conserve water.
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/savewater

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject to the
legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House, Halifax Road, Bradford, BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682