ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] hypothetical situation with dedup turned on

2012-11-14 14:44:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] hypothetical situation with dedup turned on
From: "Tyree, David" <david.tyree AT SGMC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 14:36:10 -0500
                I've had some sys admins ask me about a possible situation with
using dedup on our primary storage pool. We are currently using dedup and I
can't come up with a good answer.
                Ok, our primary storage pool is using dedup. Something
(corruption, whatever) happens to one of the files in the primary pool and the
data needed to recover the file in the primary pool is not available.
                I attempt to do a restore of the corrupt  file and the needed
tape is not available.
                How would I go about fixing that kind of a situation?
                Back before we started using dedup we could just do a move
volume to save what we could and then do a delete volume and the next backup of
the server would straighten everything out. We might lose inactive copies but
the next backup cycle would catch the missing active files.
                With the way dedup works I'm not sure what we would do.
                Any suggestions?

David Tyree
Interface Analyst
South Georgia Medical Center