ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Antwort: [ADSM-L] devclass definition

2012-11-01 05:29:21
Subject: [ADSM-L] Antwort: [ADSM-L] devclass definition
From: Ullrich Mänz <umaenz AT FUM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:24:11 +0100
Hi Robert,

the maxsize of a deviceclass file volume depends on what you are planning to use it for.

In my opinion  - I verfied this at several customer environments - for file server data (i.g. office documents) a size of 50G is ok. If the filesystem is very active, that  means a lot of files were changed, moved, deleted, and created, smaller volumes will be more effficient.

If you are planning to use deduplication on the filepool(s), use small volumes (i.e. 10GB) for best results.

For large database backups a single volume size of 100GB or more is perfect, depending of the average size of the databases.

In most cases, we use more than one devclass of type file.

best regards

Ullrich Mänz
Data Center Services

FRITZ & MACZIOL Software und Computervertrieb GmbH
Ludwig Str. 180D, 63067 Offenbach, Germany

Mobil   +49 170 7678 434
Fax:   +49 69 3801 3500 10
Web:
http://www.fum.de

Amtsgericht Ulm, Handelsregister-Nummer: HRB 1936
Geschäftsführer: Heribert Fritz, Frank Haines
Inhaber: Imtech N.V., Gouda, Niederlande