ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Odd client behavior

2012-10-19 13:05:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Odd client behavior
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:55:32 -0400
The default management class for directories is based on the directory with
the highest RETONLY setting. If multiple management classes have the same
highest RETONLY setting, then the management class whose name appears last
in ascending sort order will be used. For example, if you have two
management classes that each have the same highest RETONLY setting,
MCDISK1, MCDISK2, MCTAPE, and MCVTL, then MCVTL is the default management
class for directories.

For database applications such as this (where no TSM API application is
available), there are a couple of ways to go:

1. Use the application's native backup facility to back the database up to
a flat file, after which TSM can back up the flat file. Of course, this
assumes the application has such a capability.

2. Use TSM client Open File Support (OFS) via the SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS
option. This will give you a "crash-consistent" snapshot of the files that
make up the database.

2a. Even better, in addition to OFS, use the TSM client options
PRESNAPSHOTCMD and POSTSNAPSHOTCMD. Set up PRESNAPSHOTCMD to stop the
application while the volume snapshot is taking place. Set up
POSTSNAPSHOTCMD to restart the application after the snapshot is taken.
While this does require the application be stopped, it is only for a few
seconds (however long it takes for the VSS snapshot to occur). The database
files (actually all the files) will then be backed up through the snapshot,
so you have a consistent copy of the files. Be sure to test restore.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2012-10-19
12:36:32: