ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Nodes per TSM server

2012-10-08 17:26:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Nodes per TSM server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 21:20:37 +0000
IMHO,
It's not about the nodes, it's about the number of managed objects and the I/O
throughput in TB per day  (and the size of the DB, if you are still on V5).
Have had 2 different customers where ONE node (an imaging app, naturally)
occupied > 50% of the TSM DB.  Really.

I usually don't see more than about 200-300 nodes per server, but those are
older sites that started out as V5 or earlier, and so were limited by the size
of the DB.  I would be interested in hearing from folks who have consolidated
on V6 and done merges with larger numbers of clients.

Use the IBM recs for RAM:  16G minimum for any V6, 24 is better, 32G if using
dedup.
And I think a Windows V6 server should be Win2K8 64 bit, I/O throughput appears
to be much better than Win2K3 or 32 bit.