ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Export node to new server

2012-08-29 17:11:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Export node to new server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:50:49 +0000
Since you said these are not trivial-size nodes, here are some tricks I've used:

a) Don't lock the node, let it continue backing up to the old server.

b) Do your export in chunks.  Exports that run a gazillion hours seems to
always cause problems and end up failing.  I cut down the size of each export
by using fromdate/todate on the export, like fromdate = 01/01/2010
todate=12/31/2010.  When that's finished, do it again, pick up another later
date range, then another and another until you get current.

c) Then every morning do:  export node filedata=all fromtime=now-24 totime=now
merge=yes (always use merge=yes).  You can even put this in as an admin
schedule that keeps your V6 server up to date and in sync, until you can
coordinate with the client owner to switch it over to point to the V6 server
for backup.

This way you don't have to fight scheduling issues, or worry about it for a day
when you get distracted by that pesky pager.  You just get the 2 servers in
sync for that client a bit at a time, then cut it over when convenient.

Wanda